Movement Gaining Steam to Boycott Nev ad

a On State Tourism Site

Photo by Craig Downer

By Steven Long

HOUSTON, (Horseback) – A grass roots movement is gaining momentum on a state tourism site on the social media network Facebook. There, wild horse lovers are urging tourists to boycott the state as the legislature considers a bill that would deny water to wild horses.

Others are as well. In a note to the Chic

ago based advocacy group Equine Welfare Alliance, Vice Presidet Vicki Tobin quoted a member in a note to supporters angered by the proposed ham fisted Nevada action. “We received an email from one of our members that was very powerful. Her employer is a national real estate firm that frequently holds their annual meeting in Las Vegas.

Her email, on behalf of her employer stated that should this bill pass, they will make sure the meeting is never again held in Las Vegas. The attendance at this meeting is 8,000.”

Nevada is home to more wild horses than any other state in the nation, yet many consider them a nuisance, particularly ranchers.

Yet the horse lovers aren’t biting their tongues on the Facebook site.

“My hubby & I go to Vegas 3 or 4 times a year from Cali. We will not be returning if the state of Nevada passes AB329 any longer,” said a California woman.  “We stay at Caesars in the Augustus Towers or the MGM’s The Signature. We live in a beaut iful state and have lots of other choices and we will spend our money here

if this is passed. Since Nevada doesn’t seem to want “out of state” opinions I guess you don’t want our “out of state” money either.”

Another wrote, “We usually stop in Nev. every year on my way to visit family in calf. I won’t be doing that this yr. It is wrong and cruel to deny another living being water.

That is a horrible way to die, and it is 100% guaranteed that is what will happen. I will pass the message on, as well as, do my part to see that our money or time is NOT spent there,”

Another Vegas fan said, “Your legislators only want to hear from Nevada residents. Apparently they don’t want to hear from tourists. Nevada will never hear from me again if they pass this bill.” Thses comments and others can be found on Facebook’s “Travel Nevada” page.

13 comments for “Movement Gaining Steam on Facebook Site to Boycott Nevada Over Wild Horse Cruelty Bill

1. Wendell stockdale
    May 12, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I work for an Airline, and know many people who visit Nevada and am letting them know the issue and will allow them to make a decision based on their beliefs. I go go Vegas at least twice a year and am boycotting them despite it passing or not due to their lack of not caring about what I think. the word is out.

2. May 12, 2011 at 4:42 pm

“Activist organizations, usually outspoken on the issue of protecting wild horses, are being uncharacteristically timid in speaking out for the proposed boycott.”

Some organizations are being silenced and/or ignored. Friends of Animals has issued an action alert, which has been posted far and wide, but some of those posts are being removed.

We are asking out-of-state residents to contact Governor Sandoval in Nevada, and for Nevada residents to contact the senate and demand that AB 329 be rejected. Friends of Animals will support a boycott of Nevada if this legislation passes.

Catherine Burt, Correspondent
    Friends of Animals

• Linda
      May 12, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Thank you for posting this. I sent a message to the Governor and let him know that, if this passes, we will no longer be visiting Nevada.

3. May 12, 2011 at 5:41 pm

I submitted an E-mail to the tourism board boycotting Vegas and Beef and goods from that state. It worked for the Colonist’s during the 1700′s boycotting British made goods or those that supported British sympathizer’s

4. May 12, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Thank you Horseback Magazine for spreading the word on this Bill.
    The Bill itself is a thumb in the nose to the Constitution of the State of Nevada. This aint over yet.

5. Barb/CO
    May 12, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Nevada’s casinos are already hurting. What a stupid idea it is to encourage more tourists to stay away from Nevada by encouraging the abuse of wild horses and burros. BOYCOTT for sure!

6. Jill
    May 13, 2011 at 12:49 am

I work for a company in Mesa, Az. where just about every employee there (approx. 2500) spends their get-a-way week-ends in Las Vegas. I have known and befriended these people for over 12 years and I am certain once I make them aware of what Nevada is proposing re: wild horse & burro/no water -REALLY??!!! most will travel elsewhere to spend those hard-earned dollars. BOYCOTT!!!!

7. Nona
    May 13, 2011 at 6:54 am

I plan a trip to the midwest, and now that trip will
    involve the long way around even if the gas is over 4.00 a gallon.
    Nevada is not getting a dime. Harry Reid started all of this mess.
    ya gotta wonder, is there any thing between the ears of some of these
    folks…? GEEZ,,

8. jean
    May 13, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Shame on Harry Reid, ranchers and special interest groups! To deny water from any animal, for any reason is totaly unnecessary. Do you mean to tell me there wasn’t another way to get around this issue?! This is inhumane and there actions are unconscionable! I will NOT support Nevada, until they can show more reasonable and compassionate behavior for our wild ones.

9. jean
    May 13, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I hope your right, Laura! This is so inhumane, along with so many other issues our poor wild ones are going through. Hopefully, the outrage by their actions will drive people to speak out against this barbaric bill!

10. Judy Levy
    May 16, 2011 at 7:38 pm

The Bill is Dying.. Let’s TOTALLY KILL IT…..Click on this link and finish the job.

11. Lisa L.
    May 16, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I was born in Southern Nevada, raised in Northern Nevada; I may be waxing romantic but this state has many unique qualities to recommend itself: the truest azure blue sky turning to blackest velvet at night, every star in perfect view. Air so rarified in the desert you can see clearly 50 miles in any direction. I grew up on well water so sweet and clean it vaporized off the tongue. In some areas, the perfume of sagebrush is almost overpowering, the scent of what roses only wish they could be. I’ve seen moonrise and sunset occur simultaneously, the moon resting on a mountain range, huge and pink, the detail in it’s craters sharply defined. And in the desert, a quiet so profound the ears ring, desperately seeking a whisper of anything. I’ve seen thunderstorms in August, form from seemingly nowhere, loud, wind whipped and lightning-fed, where wildfires sprout from a lightning strike an hour after the rain stopped.
    I’m sure there are other places where singularities abound, but Nevada is my home – no matter where I live.
    This legislation is not simply about ‘allowing’ wild equines to die of thirst, but playing an active role in causing it. Those who make these decisions have apparently insulated themselves against any interests but their own. They are not defenders of Nevada or her well-being. This is short-sighted and cruel and, should it become actuality, the images of the dead and dying will be the legacy they pass on. THAT is what people will see and remember. Not that they wrested control of their water from the federal government – but that they killed wild horses and burros to do it.

Comments are closed.