Jennifer Alfano and Miss Lucy
Wayne, Il. – Aug. 6, 2017 – A large audience gathered around the SmartPak Grand Prix Arena on Sunday morning to watch horse-and-rider combinations compete for the win in the $10,000 USHJA International Hunter Derby presented by CWD. After two rounds that impressed both panels of judges present for the derby, Jennifer Alfano and Miss Lucy, owned by Sharon O’Neill, finished in first place.
In the first round, the pair was given a score of 86 from one panel of judges and a score of 92 from the other. Combined with an additional 8 points from selecting higher jumps where options existed on the course, Alfano and Miss Lucy were awarded a total score of 186 for their first round.
Coming back for the handy round, they received a score of 86 from one judging panel and a score of 92 from the other. After adding the additional 8 points for higher options and a handy bonus of 16 points, Alfano and Miss Lucy’s score for the handy round totaled 202.5. Their high combined score of 388.5 secured their place in the winner’s circle.
Finishing in second place was Holly Shepherd aboard White Lightning, owned by Helen Gilbert. Shepherd and White Lightning rode to a total score in their first round of 184, and a score of 201 in the handy round. The pair secured their finish just behind Alfano and Miss Lucy with a combined score of 385.
Shepherd also rode into third place, this time with Nina Moore’s Kodachrome. The horse-and-rider combination was awarded a score of 170 for their first round and a score of 201 for their handy round, giving them a total combined score of 371.
In the $5,000 USHJA National Hunter Derby that followed, Todd Minikus and Exceptional took first place. The pair received high scores of 99 from both panels of judges to finish with a total of 198.
Maria Rasmussen and Subject to Change, owned by Corporate Way LLC, took second place after earning scores of 87 and 89 from the judges to total 176. Rounding out the top three was Isabella Bleu Baxter and Lakeview Inc.’s Gin Fizz 67. The pair earned score of 81 and 87 from the judges to finish with a total of 168.
Equifest III will begin on Wednesday, Aug. 9 at the Lamplight Equestrian Center. The WEC Hunter Arena will host a $5,000 USHJA National Hunter Derby on Friday, Aug. 11.
$10,000 USHJA International Hunter Derby Presented by CWD
Place / Horse / Rider / Owner / First Round Score / Second Round Score / Total Score
1. Miss Lucy / Jennifer Alfano / Sharon O’Neill / 186 / 202.5 / 388.5
2. White Lightning / Holly Shepherd / Helen Gilbert / 184 / 201 / 385
3. Kodachrome / Holly Shepherd / Nina Moore / 170 / 201 / 371
4. Flamboyant / Holly Shepherd / Debbie Holland / 163 / 191 / 354
5. Color Pearlz / Steve Schaeffer / Matt Yeterian / 176 / 176 / 352
6. Like I Said / Maggie Jayne / Pony Lane Farm / 168 / 183 / 351
7. Governor / Giavanna Rinaldi/ Alex Jayne / 169 / 177.5 / 346.5
8. Longstreet / Holly Shepherd / Barbara Risius / 157 / 189 / 346
9. Frosted Blue / Maggie Jayne / Alex Jayne / 163 / 174 / 337
10. With Honors / Maria Rasmussen / Corporate Way LLC / 146 / 185 / 331
11. Lucca / Michelle Durpetti / Michelle Durpetti / 150 / 153 / 303
12. Everest / Jordan Gilchrist / Sydney Murdoch / 147 / 136 / 283
FROM THE WINNER’S CIRCLE
Jennifer Alfano – $10,000 USHJA International Hunter Derby Champion
On Miss Lucy:
“She was great today. I thought she was a little fresh at first, but she was actually perfect. She jumped amazing like she always does. I was really happy with her. She just has an amazing jump, she’s so powerful. She’s 15 years old, she’s kind of been there and done that. There’s nothing that she doesn’t handle well.”
On her victory:
“It was a large class and it felt really good [to be champion]. I’ve been out for a while with an injury, so I’m really just starting back up again. I was really happy that she went so well today.”